Technical Overview – Attix5 Pro Online Backup Software
Technical overview – Attix5 Pro is a secure, automated disk-to-disk backup and recovery solution uniquely designed for network efficiency, centralised management, policy-based control and simplicity of use. Full customization and seamless scalability; it accommodates multiple users running various operating systems on desktops, notebooks and servers alike. By enabling automated and secure backup and recovery of critical data both inside and outside the confines of corporate IT networks, Attix5 Pro removes the factor most commonly responsible for data loss; human error.
Attix5 Pro minimises risk, maximises productivity and allows businesses and individuals to regain control of their most valuable asset – their data!
The Attix5 Pro Backup Environment
Within the Attix5 Pro solution, Backup Clients connect to an Attix5 Pro-enabled storage data centre called the Storage Platform via the Internet or an internal network connection. This Client-Platform backup environment can be managed remotely via a single management interface called the Storage Platform Console.
Attix5 Pro Storage Platform components
AccountServer – User authentication and Group management
StorageServer – File storage system
MirrorServer – Off-site file storage system for DR purposes
WebAccess – Optional component to support secure browser access for remote users
Attix5 Pro Storage Platform Console abilities
Management – Enables the backup administrator to control servers and licenses, manage user groups and individual users, and remotely configure any Backup Client.
Deployment – Pre-deployment customisation tool included to create MSI installers.
Client Software Editions
Desktop and Laptop Edition (DL) – Versions available for Windows and Mac operating systems.
Server Edition (SE) – Versions available for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.
Plug-ins available for MS SharePoint, MS SQL, MS Exchange, VMware, Lotus and Oracle.
Note: Communications between the above mentioned components use the SSL protocol standard to ensure secure data transmission and data is stored on the Storage Platform using the globally recognised Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
The Storage Platform Explained
An Attix5 Pro Storage Platform (SP) consists of an AccountServer (AS) connected to one or more StorageServer[s] (SS). The AccountServer handles user authentication and Backup Group management. The StorageServer is the file storage location for Clients’ encrypted data.
When an AccountServer is connected to one or more StorageServer(s), together they function as a Storage Platform.
Note: These components (AS & SS) may run on the same or separate physical platforms.
Management and the Storage Platform Console
The Attix5 Pro Storage Platform Console is used to manage and administer all elements within the storage solution.
The Storage Platform Console connects to the Storage Platform and enables remote management of the entire backup environment (Backup Clients and Storage Platform).
Backup Clients – Handling data at its source
Within an Attix5 Pro backup solution set-up, one or more Backup Clients (DL and/or SE) connect and back up data to the Storage Platform. In the event of data loss or corruption, data can be retrieved from the Storage Platform and restored to the original or another Client.
Attix5 Pro Benefits
- Intelligent file inclusion and exclusion filters facilitate rapid, transparent backups, even over low-speed connections.
- Version control – Data can be recovered from previously backed up states, allowing file and system state rollbacks.
- Advanced scheduling allows multiple backups and different data selections per day.
- Remote WebAccess enables anywhere, any time recovery and includes a briefcase facility.
- Flexible architecture provides multiple deployment options. The Storage Platform can be local, remote or both. Attix5 Pro also caters for Slave and Data Mirror configurations.
- Multi-platform support – Backup Clients available (32-bit and 64-bit) for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux operating systems. Plug-ins available for MS Exchange (including Single Item Recovery), MS SQL Server, MS SharePoint, Lotus Domino, Sybase, Oracle, and VMware.
- Byte-level patch incremental backups (enabled by a process called “Binary Patching”) minimise data transfer by identifying and transmitting only the changed bytes in modified files. An alternative method, Delta Blocking, is also available in Server Edition.
- This process is significantly faster than Binary Patching but the patches are considerably larger.
- All data is compressed in transit and storage, further minimising transfer times, network loads and storage requirements.
- Disconnections are resumed from the last byte sent, eliminating the need to resend files that were only partially transferred.
- Multiple-thread backups in Server Edition improve total backup speed significantly.
- Adjustable load priority options available for minimal impact on the protected system.
Total cost of ownership is largely influenced by administration and management overheads. The Storage Platform Console allows a single resource to configure, deploy, monitor and administer a large, geographically dispersed, installation. Combining remote deployment and configuration with centralised monitoring, management, enterprise reporting, troubleshooting, and user access management removes the need for on-site support. This setup enables full control of backup implementation enterprise-wide.
- An administrator can customise and lock down user settings before and after Client installations.
- Network detection initiates policy-based transparent backups, ensuring full user compliance.
- The Storage Platform Console allows multi-tier access control and permissions, and an audit trail is available to indicate which user performed each task/action.
- Backup Clients are automatically upgraded to the latest software version during the backup process, without re-installing software or on-site user intervention.
- Dynamic Profiling enables the backup administrator to propagate certain client-side settings from the Storage Platform to the Backup Clients. These settings take priority over any settings specified in the Backup Client.
- Automated reports include the Overview, Licence, StorageServer Disk Space, Mirror, Storage Platform Expiry, Group Expiry and StorageServer status reports. The Enterprise Reporting Suite provides a large number of additional reports that are also customisable and extra reports can be added. All reports can be viewed with user access rights, using a web browser.
- Backup Client Remote Management enables the backup administrator to change backup selections, initiate and schedule backups, view backup log files and restore data remotely.